Wednesday 14 February 2018

Javier Pineda email

I received some great emails back concerning the background department and also answers of my questionnaire i sent off , Below is an email i received from Javier Pineda who is the lead Background designer for fox studios and has been working on The Simpsons for 17 years.

Michael first of all thank you for your nice words, I'm glad you like my backgrounds. I got to work on the background animation after I finish working in the prime time industry at Sony Pictures (Dilbert), after I graduated at Cal-Arts I got 15 animation offers, back then in the early 90's animation was in a blooming, I was offer to work as an assistant for a new show called Dilbert, so I took the offer, It was a great position at that time.As an assistant at Sonny I was doing almost everything, character design, boards, character layout,  background etc etc was then that I became very interested in doing bg's, so when Dilbert finished I took a position as a bg designer/layout for a new WB animation series called "Mission Hill" produced at Film Roman Studios, since then I been doing Bg's all the time, and I love it.
Programs: here at Fox we use Harmony (Scene Machine)  combine with Photoshop and Maya for CG. 
By far my favorite series to work on are "The Simpsons", great people, great artist, fantastic crew and overall a fantastic show that I hope goes on forever and ever. 
About the deadlines TV is always a little bit crazy as bg artist we have about 2 months and a half to finish a show and we work as a team of 4 or 5 artist, I am the lead one so I have to work with the director to be sure that everything is coordinated and has no problems with continuity, speed and quality. Background will always be important for animation, the important thing when you work in animation, specially TV, is to find a balance between quality and speed, and that is always very, very difficult. 
The amount of people working in backgorunds did not decressed at "The Simpsons", actually it increased because shows are more and more demanding and complicated. 
Anyway Michael, hope I answer all your questions, good luck and wish you the best luck. Regards from the yellow factory here at LA (California), Javier Pineda

No comments:

Post a Comment